Riselle Celestina of The Island Traveling Girl shares her experiences of four affordable accommodations in Anguilla. Here is her story on Hummingbird Garden Studio:
I arrived by certified taxi. Let’s not forget that traveling during the pandemic still comes with its set of requirements and hoops to jump through. But luckily my host and now great friend Trudy was there to help me by booking the taxi to the Hummingbird prior to my arrival on the island as well as walk me through the travel requirements and keep me calm whenever I panicked.
I walked into the beautifully manicured garden surrounding the apartment. The apartment itself is a quaint space attached to the main house but that comes with its own private entrance, outdoor kitchen and a lovely garden to sit in.
Trudy truly is the “hostess with the mostest” and has thought of everything. The air conditioned apartment is an inviting escape when the Caribbean sun gets just a tad too hot to handle. The bed is comfortable, the ceiling fan gives you enough breeze if the air conditioner is not your vibe, and the desk in the corner actually made it easy to answer emails and do some writing in the morning before heading out to the beach.
The bathroom is large and comes with a full – length mirror, something many women travelers will surely appreciate but that is yet often disregarded by Airbnb hosts. The closet in the bedroom is spacious, with enough hangers to avoid walking around in wrinkled clothes – not that anyone cares – and doubles as a mini library.
Trudy is an avid reader and a novel writer. Her own novel, Endless Turquoise, has a prominent spot on the closet shelf alongside other great vacation reads. Make sure you read it during your stay at the Hummingbird and if time doesn’t allow you to, I’m sure Trudy has an extra copy or two somewhere.
Who is the Hummingbird for?
I would recommend the Hummingbird for couples and solo travelers. Female solo travelers will find this Airbnb not only comfortable but especially safe. Animal lovers will be happy to know that Trudy has two rescue dogs, Foxy and Godiva, and two rescue cats, Mr. Mew and Funny Face, that are just a joy to spend time with. I personally just love an Airbnb with dogs or cats. It makes me miss my bunch just a little bit less.
What are the highlights of a stay at the Hummingbird?
- The home – made rum punch in the fridge with a hand written welcome note makes guests feel most welcome.
- Having the host living next door is a comfort and comes in handy in case guests have questions or need some recommendations.
- The Hummingbird is located in the West End, just a stone’s throw from the luxurious Four Seasons Resort. It’s also literally just steps away from Picante Restaurant, which will definitely become one of your favorite dining spots on the island. It is also close to stunning beaches like Mead’s Bay and Barnes Bay which are just a short walk away.
- The outdoor kitchen is great for cooking meals and the outdoor seating is ideal to enjoy your meal in the Anguillan breeze. The additional fridge and coffee maker inside the apartment is truly a blessing when you don’t want to leave the air – conditioned space or are just too deep into reading Trudy’s novel and even the outdoor kitchen seems too far.
- The nightly rate at the Hummingbird is honestly affordable. A very nice price tag for all the amenities which are included.
If the Hummingbird is the perfect accommodation for you, you can book it via Airbnb or you can contact Trudy directly via Instagram or Facebook. Her nightly rates range from US$ 75.00 (singles) in the off season and US$ 150.00 (couples) in the high season.